When the path ahead is dark, how can we keep from stumbling? How do we make our way with courage and dignity? “Inside each of us is an eternal light that I call ‘the One Who Knows,'” writes Jack Kornfield. “Awakening to this wisdom can help us find our way through pain and suffering with grace and tenderness.” For anyone seeking answers during a time of trial, he offers A Lamp in the Darkness, a book-and-CD program filled with spiritual and psychological insights, hope-giving stories, and special guided meditations for skillfully navigating life’s inevitable storms.
The practices in this book are not positive thinking, quick fixes, or simplistic self-help strategies. They are powerful tools for doing “the work of the soul” to access our inner knowing and to embrace the fullness of our life experience. With regular practice, these teachings and meditations enable you to transform your difficulties into a guiding light for the journey ahead. Join Jack Kornfield as your trusted guide and friend as you explore:
- Shared Compassion—a guided practice for planting the seeds of compassion and opening the heart to all that life brings
- The Earth Is My Witness—a meditation to establish firm footing in the midst of darkness, centered by a steady witnessing presence
- The Practice of Forgiveness—what Kornfield calls “the only medicine that can release us from the past and allow us to truly begin anew”
- The Temple of Healing—a guided visualization to meet your own inner healer
- Equanimity and Peace—a meditation for maintaining balance and acceptance regardless of the situation
Just as it is certain that each life will include suffering, explains Kornfield, it is also true that in every moment there is the possibility of transcending your difficulties to discover the heart’s eternal freedom. With A Lamp in the Darkness, he offers you a beacon for yourself and others until joy returns again. Foreword by Jon Kabat-Zinn.